Friday, February 4, 2011

From Russia With Dave - 1/18/09

Hello all.  Took a week off but now I'm back.

The holiday break is over and its back to work.  For some strange, ungodly reason, the work week started on Sunday just for the weekend after the break.  Yes, that's right, last Sunday was a workday for everyone, including me.  Sundays in general don't hold the same significance they do in the states.  People in general aren't very religious at all (just the little old ladies).  The Russian week begins on Monday whereas in the states it begins on Sunday, which is so far the only thing which I've found here which is more logical than in the states.  This was my first week of actually having to give lessons to the kindergarten kids.  I wouldn't really call what I give "lessons", I'd call it a series of questions about Spiderman in between compulsive glances at my watch.  I only have a few more weeks of kindergarten oh thank heaven (for 7-11).

I just bought a green acoustic guitar today.  Yeah, its green.  I also got a harmonica and one of those weird headgear things you attach a harmonica to so I can strum and blow the harmonica at the same time.  So now thats all I do is walk around our place with a guitar and harmonica to the delight or disturbance of all.

Some of my students took me out to the bars this week and proceeded to grill me about, you guessed it, Barack Obama.  Everyone is anticipating inauguration day and think he's gonna get assassinated.  I'm becoming pretty good friends with a number of my students.  I even went to a company party at the medical supply office I teach at and drank all the Bailey's Irish Cream out of Dixie cups my heart could enjoy.

On Russian Christmas (Jan. 7) - actually its called Orthodox Christmas.  It's only really observed by strictly religious people.  In other words all those little old ladies again.  Russians basically celebrate Christmas and New Years simultaneously.  The night of Dec. 31 is when Santa visits Russian children and gives them presents.  So on Orthodox Christmas I visited one of the many cathedrals here to witness what goes on in a proper Russian religious celebration.  In this Orthodox cathedral (much to my dismay) there were no seats.  Everyone stood in a very unorderly way while the Orthodox priest (huge beard and all) said his thing.  It was terrible, I was dying for a seat.  The smell and fog of incense and candles is overwhelming and there are lines of people waiting to kiss one of the many icons, or religioius images, hanging on the walls. 

Oh, and the weather has actually been quite nice recently.  It hasn't snowed in little over a week, the parks which used to be covered in snow now look normal again, and the rivers are are starting to look watery.  However people tell me that February is usually the coldest month, so don't get too excited.  Kind of an "eye of the storm" situation.  But it is nice only having to wear one pair of gloves and socks.

Alright that's about all.  I'm rolling along smoothly here.

No comments:

Post a Comment