Friday, February 11, 2011

From Russia With Dave - 12/7/2008

Another old one I found:

Well the power and hot water was down today so earlier I had the opportunity to take a cold shower in the dark while it was snowing outside in Russia.  It was one of those things that I hope doesn't happen again.  But as a popular Russian expression goes, "The only thing colder than the cold water is the hot water."  Earlier this week one of the guys I teach took me on a little walking tour of the city (In the rain of course - which reminds me, I need to buy an umbrella), but first we picked up his girlfriend, who gave me an orange as a sort of gift.  I was like "Oh, ok, thanks for the orange".  So I was just walking around with them struggling to peel this thing and then I proceeded to devour it like an animal to ward off the scurvy.

Went to a concert the other night to see some Swedish group (Insert ABBA joke here) and when me and my roommate came back, our door was locked from the inside, the other roommates phone was off, and the roommates phone had just run out of juice.  So after sitting there pounding on the door for about an hour, in which we woke up everybody in our building except our roommate, we went out into the poring snow to this random hotel bar, where to my amazement they had "Grog" on the menu, so the pirate in me ordered a few glasses, roommate charged her phone, and ended up calling a friend of a friend who she's never met to ask if we could stay at his place at 3am.  Luckily it was ok, so we walk to this guys place, he answers the door in a full body black jumpsuit smoking a cigarette, and when we get inside he starts telling me about all his weird experiences in remote Asian countries in hilarious broken English.  So me and the roommate got his bed, well it actually wasn't a bed in the proper sense, it was more of a big plank of wood jutting out from the wall which we had to climb up a shaky wooden ladder to get to with a huge Marilyn Monroe poster over it.  Good thing I had a belly full o' grog.  And then I had to wake up a couple hours later to teach a brand new 3 hour class the business vocabulary of balance sheets and income statements, still with a belly full o' grog.

Other than that I'm settling into the weekly groove.  I pretty much teach classes in the morning before the workday begins and in the evenings after the work days.  I work about 18-20 hours a week which is plenty.  It's now snowing on a daily basis.  There are Christmas trees and Christmas decorations everywhere in the city, it looks pretty amazing at night.  It starts getting dark around 4pm and ends around 10am, and then in between those times its just a deep gray.  Had my first genuine Russian Borscht which was extremely delicious.  The most popular food in Russia is sushi, there are sushi places everywhere - with genuine Asians working at them.  I went in this one sushi place and they had a Tom and Jerry cartoon playing on TV screens on every wall.  Hilarious.

Ok thats all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment