Friday, February 11, 2011

From Russia With Dave - 12/14/2008

An old one I found:

Hello all, got a month under by belt.  Today also happens to be my birthday.  I rewarded myself with a new electric razor and a very bizarre rug which is starting to really disturb me the more I look at it, let alone put my feet on it.

Well I made my first trip to a Russian IKEA, or as they call it EKEA.  It was located out in the dirty, grimy Petersburg suburbs - where all the "workers" live.  And by workers I mean disgusting people.  We had to take a half hour metro ride then take a bus which I swear was on loan from the Zimbabwe government to the giant, otherworldy complex that is every IKEA. Beforehand though I had the pleasure of viewing a bald Russian who looked like Sloth from the Goonies walk around the middle of the road with one eye closed and mouth wide open then walk headfirst into another Zimbabwe bus.  Making really weird noises too.  I was the only one laughing.  The IKEA was exactly like every other IKEA.  That's where I got my bizarre rug - and boy is it bizarre.

I also had to make a mandatory trip to a Russian hospital in order to get an HIV test for my Visa renewal.  Yes, in order to live in Russia for longer than 3 months, you need to prove that you don't have AIDS.  And of course I had to go to a specific hospital and of course with these clowns in was in another dirty, grimy suburb of Petersburg.  Full of "workers".  And of course I got lost and had to go in some big factory of some sorts and play a game of Charades with the security guard to find out where the hospital was.  Then when I finally got to the hospital I had to play another game of Charades with the front desk to let them know I needed an HIV test.  I got the same test right before I left so don't anybody worry about the results.  But now that I think of it I was on a Zimbabwean bus beforehand...

 As for work, there was a new American guy working for my company who just up and flew back home without telling anybody.  Hahaa.  His hot water probably wasn't working.  So now I have to take over his Kindergarten classes for the next couple months.  That's Kindergarten.  Where the kids take naps at school.  We're talking 6 year olds here.  And I'll be teaching them.  Everyday.  9am-2pm.  I hear they're about to put on a Christmas recital which I will for sure be chaperoning and maybe with my skills at Charades might even partake in.  But one thing's for sure, I will get all the free orange juice and cheese danishes my stomach can handle. 

We got a new roommate who just moved in a couple days ago.  She's another Siberian blonde.  I can't seem to escape Siberian blondes.  Poor me.  We all went to see some genuine Russian cinema the other night.  Well actually the movie was in French with Russian subtitles.  So I understood positively nothing.  And it was a good 2+ hour movie.  From what I've heard it was good.  Russian theaters give you assigned seats at the beginning and there are ushers and the whole shebang.  And there was a bar and alchohol is allowed in the theater.  Which made it easier.  When everyone else laughed I took it as a sign that something funny had just been said. 


Alright thats all the fun for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment