Wednesday, March 2, 2011

From Russia With Dave - 7/15/2009

Hello all.  I've been gone for a while and in that time many new, strange, and downright revolutionary things have occured.  So now I'm back and lets get to it.

So last time I left you summer was just getting underway in Petersburg and everything was sunny with birds chirping and guys in speedos strolling down the boulevards to some old Motown rhythm.  Well, right after I wrote that the rain started.  And continued.  And continued.  The weather in Petersburg is one of the strangest phenomena period.  Hardcore sunshine bliss is instantly and inexplicably followed by hardcore sludge rain bogusness, usually in the same day.  The audacity.  It certainly makes it hard to choose an outfit for the day.  I really should've bought that waterproofing spray.  And then it stays light outside til about 1am every night.  You can read perfectly fine outside at midnight here right now.  Not that I've tried it.  Actually I have.

Also by some twisted turn of events I have a Russian girlfriend here.  One of my American colleagues who has a Russian wife set me up on a blind meeting with the wifes daughter and its just been gaga since then.  And by gaga I mean I already took her to Istanbul.  Olga's the name.  Not gonna lie not a huge fan of it.  The name that is.  I'm actually at her house right now and hoping she doesn't come in and read what I just wrote cause then I would get a hilarious chewing out in perfect Russian.  Her English is pretty hilarious also.  And just in case any of you were wondering... yes, she did used to ride dirtbikes competitively.  Thats not a joke.
Summers pretty slow here for teaching work and I took a little holiday.  First went to Istanbul with aforementioned Olga.  Amazing place.  Turkish people might take the award for perseverance in trying to sell you stuff.  Walking down the street we were bombarded with Turks one right after the other with the usual line like this:  "Hello, Where you from?  You wanna have a nice evening with your lady?  I give you best table"  or something like "Hello, where you from?  You need some leather pants?"  Then the olgameister and I parted ways, she back to mother Russia and I off to Madrid to meet some friends from the states.  We were in Madrid for one night and unbeknownst to us it happened to be the largest gay pride festival/parade in Spain, possibly in all of Europe.  Not that theres anything wrong with that of course. 

Then it was off to Pamplona for the running of the bulls for 3 nights.  Yes I ran and yes it was terrifying.  It starts very early in the morning and like most people I just stayed up all night then did it, and also like most people my body was not free of intoxicating liquids.  I made it out okay (read: not mauled) and am the better for it.  That's something that'll really wake you up in the morning.  Then it was off to Barcelona for a night, which really just turned into an extended nap.  Didn't help that it was probably the one day of the summer where it rained all day.  Then to the tourist Disneyland known as Rome for 4 nights where nothing out of the ordinary happened and hence doesn't belong in this email.  It was a heck of a trip, my body feels like a symptoms list for Propecia.  So now I'm back in my old mother russia.  I'll stay here for a few weeks then I plan to come back to america the beautiful for a couple weeks.  I say a couple weeks and not forever cause I now plan on staying in Russia for a bit longer than originally expected.  If any of you think the girlfriend has anything to do with that decision then you're absolutely right.

Alright thats all for now.  I'll try to get these emails off at shorter intervals but you know how it is.  Hopefully I'll see some of you when I'm back in August.  Right now I'm shooting for somewhere around the middle two weeks.

ps.  It just started POURING right now after a nice sunny day.

No comments:

Post a Comment